Friday, October 22, 2010

I Voted Today!

I voted today! My son asked for what? I explained it was a Congressional and a Gubernatorial year along with the County Commissioners and Board of Education, locally. Maryland was smart enough to enact early voting starting this year. Today was the first day. I took advantage.

I love to go vote. I could not vote in the Presidential election the year I turned 18. I turned 18 just a measly 2 1/2 weeks after that. I had to do absentee ballots for the next two years since I was in college. My first Presidential election was after I graduated from college and was working at Colonial Williamsburg. I voted in the Denbigh section of Newport News, Virginia.

It is an exhilarating feeling to vote. I get as much information about each candidate as I can. Here in Maryland we only have elections every other year. I am not declared Republican or Democrat so I can not vote in the Primaries here, either. I get one chance every other year to make my voice heard! Ever since we moved here, I have voted out the County Commissioners when it is their time to be elected (unfortunately, others do not have the same idea). As far as other voting goes, I check out their current/prior activities, their voting record (if they have one), what they say they stand for (and compare to their record), and how negative their ads were. This helps me decide who I am going to vote for. I do not vote by party. I vote by the person.

That is why I love to vote. I was all giddy going to the polling station again this year and I have been able to vote for more than half of my life. Make sure you get out and vote!!

No comments:

Post a Comment