Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Soup, It's What's for Dinner

I am Celiac, which means I need to avoid gluten (wheat, barley, rye and I also have to avoid oats). I also have to avoid dairy products; not the lactose, but casein. I enjoy cooking and baking. When new cookbooks come out that address my issues come out, I want them!!

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to win one such cookbook. It is called gluten-free girl and the chef and it is by Shauna and Daniel Ahern. I follow Shauna on Facebook as Gluten-Free Girl. She had this fantastic idea for all of us followers to make one recipe out of the book each week. This week's assignment was the Pumpkin Soup.

I roasted the pumpkins and their seeds in the morning since I needed to take the son to the doctor around lunch time. I got all of the rest of the ingredients together after the appointment. I made a few substitutions of vegetable broth, plain coconut creamer and Earth Balance Vegan sticks. But, everything else was the same. It was quite easy to make and smelled really good.

This was really good!! You blend the ingredients once they are softened so you have this great texture going on. It sticks to the spoon so you know it is going to stay with you for a while. We did eat it with the seeds as garnishment in the soup, but I think I prefer to just eat the seeds as a side. The kids liked this soup as well. It is a really good warm-you-up soup, but not as heavy as chili.I think I will add some extra nutmeg as I serve it next time. There will be a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment