If you are new to driving your child to school for drop off, I have a few tips:
1) Pull up just past the cross walk so that two people may drop off at the same time. Drop your child off, watch them cross the bus lane, then leave.
2) DO NOT stay parked there, watching them walk in to the school. They will be fine on their way in; see all the other teachers and volunteers on their way in, too?
3) DO NOT park at the crosswalk and walk your child in. Instead, park in a PARKING SPACE and walk your child in; though I am pretty sure 9, 10 and 11 year olds can walk themselves in if we are raising them right.
4) DO NOT talk on your cell phone (which is illegal while driving in MD, now) and smoke a cigarette while trying to get your child, their backpack and their instrument out of your van. Concentrate on your child and helping them. Maybe you should think about their health, as well as your own, and quit smoking.....
5) And, from my son: DO NOT yell "I love you, have a great day" while your son is getting out of the car and walking in the crosswalk. Apparently, that is embarrassing. Who knew?
6) Any younger siblings should be properly restrained in a car seat or booster. I know they are not yet tall enough or weigh enough to be sitting in that car without one! I will report you to the police since you sat there long enough for me to take down your license plate!!
Be safe and have a fabulous day!!