Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lend a Hand

There is a little boy in our county who is suffering from brain cancer. As a result of the health care system being in shambles, his family has to pay a lot of money out of pocket. I still do not understand how insurance companies can decide a child is not good enough to invest in. But, that is me and not what this post is about.

His friends and family are hosting a bake sale down on the island at a famous (for our area) location. I do not know these people. It was put out as an event on Facebook and another friend shared it on her page. I contacted the people in charge to ask if I could bring some gluten-free/vegan baked goods for them to sell. They were so excited!! I actually feel like I should be honored, being able to help him.

Anyway, I have decided on the Dark Chocolate Muffins from the Flying Apron's Gluten-Free & Vegan Baking Book. I hope they go over well. I know the chocolate muffins are a family favorite. I just hope the family doesn't get to them!! LOL!!

If you can find a way to help those that are sick (not just cancer, but anything), please do. I do not mean buying something pink during "Breast Cancer Awareness Month" (which also is Domestic Violence Awareness Month). The pink is too commercialized. Volunteer somewhere if you are able. Donate money directly to those doing the research. If you know them, make some meals, clean their house, anything to give them more time in their life to enjoy something. I think "people" have been forgotten by insurance and large companies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment